There is no question that traveling has become a completely different thing now that we have GPS available for such a low cost. The problem for motorcycle riders is that most GPS gadgets seem to be unable to stand the wind, vibrations and general wear and tear that is caused when riding. This is the reason why we have decided to create this article about the best motorcycle GPS units that are currently available in the market.
We believe that all of the following units are just as good, so they are not listed in any particular order. You will find that they all have similar prices and offer pretty much the same features, the main difference with most of them is in design and size.They are all easy to see when driving. They offer anti-glare on their screens and they have a universal mount.
What is a motorcycle GPS?
A motorcycle GPS is a system that allows you to find out all kinds of important information while you are on the road. It has been designed to give you information on turns, streets, highways, traffic jams, difficult terrain, and shortcut options to get to destinations. It should also be able to handle the vibrations and the sunlight exposure.
Most Popular Best Motorcycle GPS Comparison Table:
|Garmin Zumo 660LM GPS||4.3 inches||$$$||4.2|
|Garmin ZUMO 390LM||4.3 inches||$$$$$||4.5|
|Garmin Zumo 590LM||5 inches||$$$$$||4.4|
|TomTom Rider 400||4.3 inches||$$$$||5|
|TomTom Rider 2||3.5 inches||$$||3.9|
|TomTom Rider V5||4.3 inches||$$$||4|
|TomTom VIA 1505M||5 inches||$$||3.8|
|TomTom START 50M||5 inches||$$||3.5|
|Garmin Zumo 350LM||4.3 inches||$$$$$||3.6|
|Garmin Zumo 590LM||5 inches||$$$$$||3.9|
Top Five Best Motorcycle GPS Reviews
The Garmin Montana 650t is also considered a perfect unit by most people and it comes with a very bright and sharp touch screen at 4 inches, with sun glare protection and a very solid design that is able to handle the road without issues.
- 4-inch LCD display
- 5 MP autofocus digital camera with automatic geo-tagging
- Bright sunlight readable touchscreen color display
- 3-axis compass and barometric altimeter
- High-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver
You are always going to have all kinds of opinion on different GPS models, but there is no question that a large number of motorcycle riders are considering the Tom Tom Rider GPS to be the best option available. It’s the GPS unit that has the most optimal shape for riders as it comes with a very compact and sturdy structure. It features a 3.5 inch display.
- 4.3-Inch glove-friendly touchscreen
- Winding Roads Routes allows bikers to select most exciting ride
- Free Lifetime Map Updates
- All-weather device
- Upload Routes and Go
The Zummo 665 GPS by Garmin comes with a 4.3 inch screen, built-in radio and you can check the weather channel or look for detailed traffic information. You are also going to be able to get speed limit warnings and this is going to enhance your experience even more in order for you to have a safe drive and avoid a ticket.
- XM1 Satellite information XM Satellite Radio, traffic and weather radar display
- Lane assist with junction view zumo directs you to the preferred lane while driving
- Bluetooth wireless technology
- High-resolution, glove-friendly 4.3-Inch touch screen display 480 x 272 pixels
- Rugged, waterproof design (IPX7) resistant to fuel spills and UV rays
The eXplorist by Magellan unit is extremely strong and small, with a perfect size for you to be able to read it without issues. It has a 2.2inch display and it’s the smallest of the units that we have in this list. You can connect to a larger community of users that are allowed to upload notes related to an area in order for other riders to be able to use them as reference.
- 2.2-inch LCD display
- Easy to use with an intuitive user interface, simple controls and menus, and vibrant graphics
- Vibrant color transflective screen provides the best readability in direct sunlight
- A high-sensitivity SiRFstarIII GPS with three-meter accuracy
- Paperless Geocaching
The GPSMAP 60CSx by Garmin is an excellent GPS unit that is meant to be able to handle the wear and tear of the road. It offers a whopping 18 hours of battery life to the users. The best thing about this unitishow easy it is to read it even when you have sunlight hitting it directly. This is a great advantage when you are riding your bike and you want to have a clear view of the GPS as you give it a glance. The screen is a 2.6 inch display.
- High-sensitivity GPS receiver
- Bright, sunlight-readable color TFT display
- Color-handheld mapping ideal for both marine and outdoor use
- Fast USB connectivity makes loading charts and maps quick and easy
- 10,000 point automatic track log
One thing that we can guarantee to you when it comes to these GPS units is that they all offer the same level of quality. The main differences are size related and you might want to pick a bigger or smaller screen depending on your personal needs. These are the best motorcycle GPS units you can get in 2016.
We would like to end this with a quick tip. Whatever you do, don’t try to use your smartphone as a motorcycle GPS. It will heat up extremely fast under the sun and this will cause it to malfunction. The vibrations could ruin the phone too.