Taking a road trip on your motorcycle could be very exciting. But don’t get intoxicated with the intense feeling of excitement, your safety is always the priority. To ensure your safety while you enjoy that momentous motorcycle riding experience in your life. Comes the invention of different types of motorcycle helmets that will suit your lifestyle preference.
What is Motorcycle Half-Helmet Type?
The motorcycle half-helmet type, also known as the “brain bucket” or “skull caps” are more popular for scooters and motorcycle cruisers. They’re mostly lightweight like you’re not wearing a helmet at all. It provides the wearer a full visibility among the other helmet types.
Through technology innovation, manufacturers had developed a better design to improve the safety aspect of this helmet-type. It provides the least protection, due to its design. But most bikers still prefers the half-helmet type. If you prefer to feel less constrained, but you’re a concern with your head protection. Then, the half-helmet is the best fit for you.
Which makes the Best Motorcycle Half-Helmet?
The choice of helmet type is mostly based on personal preferences. Generally, half-helmets draw attention to most bike riders due to its lighter weight and its “cool” factor. You might be considering, what makes the best half-helmet the best? We suggests you take these points when deciding which is which.
- It Passed Your States’ Safety Standards – It should be DOT, ECE 22.05 and Snell certified. Yes, anyone wants to look great. But hey! Your safety should always come first. Your style preference then follows. To match your personal style, choose the half-helmet with good color combination.
- Quick-Release Chin Strap – Keep in mind that the chin strap is the only thing keeping your half-helmet in
place. That’s how important chin straps for your half-helmet. Though there are a lot of variations available. Choose the chin strap with a quick-release feature that allows you to remove or adjust your helmet easy and convenient.
- Removable Tinted Sunshields or Visors – As the protection of the half helmet is more focused on the upper half of the head, some models have come up with distinguished features as removable snap-off visors. Designed to protect your eyes from direct light and other harmful environmental agents.
- Zip-Off Neck Liner – If you prefer some neck coverings, then look for models with a zip-off neck liner. You may attach it to the back of your half-helmet to provide warmth during cold seasons.
- Removable and Washable Interiors – Prefer the half helmet that features removable and washable interior pads. Aside from that, make sure it also has anti-germ containing fabrics as inner linings. It’s not just for your safety but also for your hygienic needs.
To add-on to the above-mentioned qualities of the best half-helmet. You might also want to consider the models that present a variety of features such as, lightweight outer covering materials, face masks or shields, and comfortable air vent system.
Why need a Motorcycle Half-Helmet?
There’s no point in arguing, why to choose the half helmet when in fact it offers the least protection. So, why you even need to get one? Basically, it’s for protection.
Here at BikeGearUp, we believe that every biker should have the freedom to choose the helmet they prefer to wear. As long as they abide by the law, for which half helmets are not an exclusion. In that case, BikeGearUp is here for business to provide guidelines as you decide which half helmet you’ll wear as you take a ride on your motorcycle.
Our Top Five Best Motorcycle Half-Helmet reviews
ILM Half Helmet Motorcycle Open Face Sun Visor Quick Release Buckle DOT Approved
- Quick Release Chin Strap Easily Get It On and Off
- Top Quality ABS Shell DOT FMVSS N218 Approved
- Quality Improved Integrated Drop Down Sun Visor, Removable and Replaceable
- Premium Venting Reduces Heat at The Top of The Head
- Solid Flat Black / Gloss Black Design Suitable for Men and Women
- Adjustable Twin Shield System Drop-down sunscreen has the ability to lock ½ way down, or full protection
- DOT approved. Meets the FMVSS 218 Standard
- Bluetooth ready for seamless installation of LS2’s LinkIn Communication System – rider-to-rider, rider-to-passenger
- Flow-through ventilation
- Technical fabric liner is hypoallergenic, moisture wicking, removable and washable
- Bluetooth 4.1
- Composite Fiberglass Half Shell. Complies with US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 (FMVSS 218) (DOT FMVSS No. 218 Certified)
- Aerodynamic, low profile removable visor
- Nylon strap D-ring retention system
- Hands-Free Profile (HFP)
- Comfortable stylish helmet with its small, lightweight, custom-fit, and feature packed design
- Optically correct drop down sunshield
- Size-adjustment dial system for the perfect custom fit for your head, an advanced moisture wicking liner, channeled EPS for increased cooling & safety, and padded quick-release strap.
- High density fully vented EPS liner
- Meets or exceeds US DOT FMVSS 218 safety regulations
- Meets and exceeds D.O.T. Safety Standards FMVSS 218
- Fully lined with a custom formed interior for extreme comfort
- Soft touch Dull Black or Clear Lacquer finish
- Available with or without removable, snap on gloss black mini scoop visor
- Lightweight Carbon Fiber shell
Maintenance and Care
You may have spent a lot of time deciding which helmet to choose among the various types to choose from. But the real deal is once you have your preferred helmet. Here comes another concern, and that’s how to maintain and care for your well-thought motorcycle helmet.
Take these few simple tips to keep your helmet the same old brand new.
- Wear a headscarf underneath your helmet. In some way, this prevents the direct contact of sweat and body oils to your helmet’s absorbent lining.
- Apply high-quality automotive wax on the outer covering of your helmet. This only applies to glossy type covering. This makes bugs or another debris slide off and easy to remove when cleaning.
- Always bring a pack of cleaning wipes. Be always prepared to wipe out debris on your helmet covering.
- Do not scrub out dried-up bugs, instead soak it with a cleaning solution and wipe with a wet towel. Always remember to use mild detergents or soap solutions.
- Make sure to air dry your helmet at the end of the day. Exposing your helmet to air-out will prevent accumulation of body oils and microbes that will produce foul-smelling inner garments.
- If you have the removable inner pad type, You can simply clean it up, just by removing the inner liner and wash it with mild detergent. But pay attention to the details as you remove, as some inner linings could be confusing to put back together. Pat it gently and let air dry them.
That’s easy, isn’t it?
In choosing your half-helmet, make sure to balance your budget and your style of preference. Aside from making sure that your helmet passed the safety standards of the law, choose the helmet that you are comfortable to wear. Make sure it perfectly fits you.
The best helmet always has the highest price. But come to think of it, they last longer. To add up, consider the helmet type which is easy to clean and maintain for your convenience. With the great options to choose from, the half-helmet type is best for bikers who doesn’t want to feel constrained in wearing their helmet over their head. Shop with ease at BikeGearUp!